ZUCCHINI BACON BOATS
I bought some massive zucchini on the weekend and wanted to make something different for a meal. These were easy and can be stuffed with any meat or veges you like. I used what I had.
YOU WILL NEED…
- 2 large zucchini
- 8 rashers short bacon
- 2 small roma tomatoes (omit if excluding nightshades)
- 1/4 cup cashews or pine nuts (or any other nut)
- Handful fresh herbs - I used mint, parsley, oregano chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or ghee
- salt & pepper
HERE’S WHAT YOU DO…
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C
- Cut zucchini lengthwise evenly from tail to tip
- Scoop out the centre section using a melon baller or a teaspoon leaving the inside hollow like a boat (see pic). Set the scooped out parts aside in a bowl.
- Chop bacon, herbs, nuts, tomatoes and half of the zucchini inners and mix.
- Add spices and mix.
- Spoon bacon mix into the boats packing in as much as you can.
- Drizzle with melted butter/ghee using a teaspoon.
- Bake in the oven uncovered for 30 mins or until cooked.
I made 2 with tomato and 2 without as I do not eat night shades. They were so lovely and looked great on the plate. The hubby ate his in silence too..which generally means a double thumbs up. Woot woot.
Make an entire tray and serve up at a bbq or dinner party.
Substitute zucchini for eggplant, or tomato, or capsicum..go crazy!